Thursday, January 10, 2008

I've finally started working on the engine after the holidays.

I've done quite a lot of non graphic stuff. I've improved the engine code here and there and I've added picking for example.

On the graphic side, I've added support for cube maps and thus omidirectional shadows. All lights now also supports gobos, i.e. color textures that are projected from the lights. There is also support for reflections, but I'm still working on dynamic ones.

Scenes with a lot of lights also means a lot of shadow maps. For this reason, I've implemented a shadow map queue. When a shadow map needs an update it's added to the queue and every frame a number of entries in the queue are removed and processed. So only a small number of shadow maps are updated each frame. This of course means that there can be some noticable shadow lag when objects are moved around. For the type of application I have in mind for this engine, that is acceptable.

Omnidirectional shadow mapping

Point- and spotlights with gobos

Lots of lights! All cast shadows and some use gobos.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great job! :) At how much fps this runs? Did you create the art for the chair yourself? Keep up the great work, it inspires me to work on my own engine from time to time :)